This time of year is very exciting for children and adults of all ages… Spring is FINALLY here and Summer is just around the corner, school is almost out, and of course, the end-of-the-year Dance Recital is drawing near!
For the past 9 months, Dancers all over the world have been attending class, weekly, and practicing in their room or basement to perfect their routines in preparation for this big day. However, your routine isn’t the only thing you need to practice and remember.
Whether it is your very first dance recital or your 50th, here are a handful of tips, tricks, and reminders to help keep this year’s recital STRESS-FREE!!
- Practice your routine in front of an audience (brother, sister, parents, grandparents, dog) and without a mirror to be sure that you have it memorized by heart and to get used to the feeling of PERFORMANCE rather than REHEARSAL.
- Decide how you will wear your hair PRIOR to your Recital Day and practice it a few times to be sure there will be no hair-do malfunctions. Ask your Instructor or Studio Director for any specific hair-d0 and makeup directions.
- Be sure that your Costume(s) is stage-ready!! Check your costume at least a week in advance to be sure that it is wrinkle-free and that all of your costume pieces are there. If you are missing something, contact your Studio Director IMMEDIATELY so that they are able to TRY and locate the missing item or find a replacement. If your costume is wrinkled, hang it upside down in the bathroom while you take a hot shower. If that doesn’t work, use a steamer to release wrinkles. (Using an iron may leave marks or burn/melt the material used in your costume!!) Also, be sure that any last-minute alterations aren’t needed.
- Clean and/or polish your dance shoes. Get rid of any scuff marks or dirty spots on your Tap, Jazz, or Ballet shoes using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser or a toothbrush with a little dish-soap diluted in water. Also, make sure that your tights are clean and free of holes!
- Be aware of any rules that your Studio or Theater has in place for Recital day/weekend AHEAD of time. These rules are put in place for good reason and must be followed by all. This will help keep recital day running smoothly for you AND everyone else! Some rules may include:
- No Flash Photography or Video Taping
- No Parents Allowed Backstage
- Dancers MUST sit with their class in their assigned seating until their performance is done
- No Food or Drink in Theater/Auditorium
- Be Courteous while in Theater/Auditorium, especially during the Recital’s performances — Stay seated throughout the duration of the show. If you must get up to use restroom, etc., please do so in-between performances.
- Dancers may NOT watch performances from backstage.
- HAVE FUN!!
If you have ANY questions or concerns regarding Recital Day/Weekend, please don’t hesitate to contact your Studio Director!! It is always better to be informed and prepared, than not! Recital time is a very exciting, rewarding, special, and fun experience for all of those involved. Following these tips, reminders, and rules will help keep the stress-level low and fun-level sky-high!!
Good Luck, Dancers!! SMILE BIG!! HAVE FUN!!
~ Miki Hegg, Assistant Director, ECSOD