AWESOME!! My new ballet shoes came in the mail today! SO pumped to wear them to class tomorrow! (open package, take out shoes, try them on) Awesome. They don’t fit. Or… Awesome. These are so uncomfortable. If this has ever happened to you, you know the frustrations of finding the perfect shoe that you can rely on; that’s comfortable, fits your foot well, and allows you to dance to your full potential without having to think about what’s going on with your shoes. We have far too many more important things to be focusing on (are my toes pointed? am I turning out? am I breathing??)!
Through the years I have learned by trial and error which ballet shoes are the best of the best– cream of the crop– and which ones (by lack of better term) suck. So I have compiled a list of the Top 5 BEST Ballet Shoes according to personal experience along with a little help from various reviews from other dancers around the country.
Here they are, in no particular order:
- Grishko Women’s Canvas “Performance Series” Split-Sole Ballet Slipper – Order a half size up from street shoe size
- Sansha Unisex “#1 Pro” Canvas Ballet Slipper – Order 1 size up from street shoe size
- Bloch Women’s “Pump” Split Sole Canvas Ballet Slipper – Order 2 sizes down from street shoe size
- Bloch Prolite II Ballet Slipper – Order 2.5 sizes down from street shoe size
- Grishko Women’s “Ultimate” Ballet Slipper – Order street shoe size
All of the shoes listed here can be found at www.discountdance.com. Good Luck finding your perfect Ballet shoe! I Hope my list helps!
~ Miki Hegg, Assistant Director, ECSOD