As most people write resolutions for the New Year on such things as “GET IN BETTER SHAPE” or “EAT HEALTHIER” or “QUIT (insert bad habit)ING!”, it is time for us to get creative with our list of “NEW BEGINNINGS”. Dig deep and seek out the areas of your life that mean the most to you – find the things that you are passionate about and answer for yourself, “What do I need to do in order to fill my soul with the things that I love?” and “What can I do to enhance my day to day experience with these things and with life in general?”
Being one who is passionate about the art of dance, I have compiled a list of New Year’s Resolutions that every dancer should add to their own lists. Here it is…
- Attend local (and maybe not so local) dance performances by area dance companies and/or traveling professional dance companies whenever the chance arises.
- Take a new dance class every month – or as often as you are able – even if it means traveling to a different city and dropping in on a class you’ve never tried before .
- Be creative – take some time, by yourself, to choreograph a piece of your own. When it comes to art, nothing is ever wrong! Give yourself the chance to see what you’ve got!
- Stretch as often as possible. Even if it means working your splits while doing your homework, watching your favorite TV show, or browsing through facebook on your laptop. Anything can improve with persistence!
- Search for and listen to new music. Pick a new genre each month and give it a try. You never know what might inspire you in a way you’ve never felt before!
- And lastly, make it a point to thank your dance instructors after corrections and/or after each class. They care about you and your growth in dance and as a person immensely! It’s CRAZY what a simple gesture can do. 🙂
Happy New Year!! And as always, Happy Dancing!!
~ Miki Hegg, Assistant Director, ECSOD