With Christmas just a few days away and the beginning of a New Year fast approaching, the hustle and bustle of the Holiday season is in full effect. Everyone is out and about, shopping, traveling, caroling, baking, and planning for Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and New Years.
Unfortunately, this time of year is also well-known for a not so cheery reason…. the Cold and Flu season. Germs are out in full force, lurking in, on, and around everything you see. Especially in places where a large amount of people congregate, like the mall, school, work, and of course the DANCE STUDIO!! Whether ill or not, humans can carry germs and drop them off at any of these places (think about the barre in ballet class!!)
We’ve all been there — hanging out with the toilet or confined to your bed for a longer amount of time than you’d prefer. Here are a few tips to keep your body working strong, efficiently, and happily so that you may enjoy the Holiday Season and the rest of Winter to the fullest!
- Carry Hand Sanitizer where ever you go! Use it after touching anything that multiple others may have also touched.
- Wash your hands often–after you use the bathroom, after you sneeze or cough, and before touching the treat table at your Holiday gathering!
- Eat foods that boost your immune system! Many foods contain antioxidants and will actually help your body to fight off bacteria and viruses before they become in issue! Read this article for a list of these Super Foods!!
- Take a multi-vitamin, or even just a Vitamin C and/or Zinc Supplement.
- Finally and MOST IMPORTANTLY, BE POSITIVE! Studies have shown that those who are happy and positive are healthier than those who are pessimistic. So turn that “Bah Humbug” into a big smile!! 🙂
Happy Holidays and Happy Dancing, Everyone!!
~ Miki Hegg, Assistant Director, ECSOD