“The dance is the mother of the arts: music and poetry exist in time; painting and architecture in space. But the dance lives at once in time and space.” – Curt Sachs
“Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts, because it is not mere translation or abstraction from life; it is life itself.” – Havelock Ellis
Although dance may very well be “the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts” (I am a bit biased), it is important to remember that it is just one of the many art forms enriching our world. Being a part of such a wonderful, inspiring, therapeutic, and moving group is an honor and we must be supportive of our fellow artists, especially in our own communities.
Art of any type is the perfect platform to learn, practice, and utilize one’s own PASSION, CREATIVITY, ORIGINALITY, and RESPECT. To be able to be yourself, express your feelings and emotions, and to make your dreams and visions a reality-and share them with others-is the greatest gift of all!
Whether you dance, write, paint, sculp, sing, play music, act, or design, you know the importance of community support. As artists and as members of the art family, we must be advocates for each other: encouraging, promoting, and reinforcing our vivacity.
So get out there and SHOW YOUR SUPPORT!! Here are a few ideas:
- Visit your community Art Gallery
- Attend a play or musical at your local Children’s Theater
- Go to a concert featuring musicians from your community
- Enjoy “the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts” in a local ballet performance or dance recital 🙂
- Search for shops in your area who offer locally made jewelry, pottery, sculptures, paintings and other items
- Volunteer your time at your local theater or gallery
Whatever you do, never stop showing love for what we love the most!! WE SUPPORT THE ARTS!!
~ Miki Hegg, Assistant Director, ECSOD